Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Buy in Bulk? No way!

I haven't posted too many "random thoughts", but I am going to start trying harder to do this. One subject I have been thinking about posting is buying in bulk.

Before I started couponing, I would go to Walmart once a month or so, and spend over 200.00 on everything that we needed, including food, bathroom stuff, household and personal items. I am so happy to say that I have not done this since August! I would almost always purchase the largest package of the item I was buying, thinking this was the best deal, and the most convenient.

Using coupons, I have shifted my thinking from buying in bulk, to buying super small. Here's a couple examples. Before coupons (BC) I purchased my toilet paper in 24 roll packages, and usually bought two packs each time. Now, whenever I head to Toledo or am near Kroger, I stop and use multiple Cottonelle coupons for 4 roll packs. Kroger sells 4 roll packs for 0.99, and often there are 0.50 coupons that are doubled to 1.00. So, instead of paying 6.00 for 24 rolls, I don't pay anything for multiple 4 roll packs!

Another example that comes to mind is Reynold's Wrap. I would always buy the 200 sq ft or larger rolls, again for convenience. Recently, there has been 1.00 off Reynold's Wrap coupons. I wait to use these coupons until Walgreen's puts 20 sq ft rolls on sale for 0.89 or 0.99, and then use the 1.00 coupon. So now, I have 200 sq ft in my pantry, just in many many rolls, instead of one! And, they were all free!

Last month, Kroger had Daisy Sour Cream on sale 10/10, but the packages were only 8 oz. Who cares? I took my 0.50 coupon, which doubled to 1.00, and again, they were all free!

Frank's Red Hot Sauce is another coupon out right now that is great to use for a small package. Use the 0.50 coupon at Meijer to purchase the smallest size of Frank's, rather than a bigger one. The small bottles are 0.99, and your coupon will double! Remember, Meijer only doubles two of each coupon, so limit your purchases to two of each item/coupon.

So, as you are shopping, think about buying small, rather than in bulk. You might be surprised how much money you save!

1 comment:

Nichole Anne said...

This is so smart, I am taking this advice immediately! Thanks for turning me onto 'coupon shopping' as I feel so savy & smart when I save cash I didn't realize I could!!!