Saturday, May 30, 2009

To Whom it May Concern: Don't Take Your Famly Shopping With You!

Last night the fam and I decided to go out to dinner, because we were both too lazy to cook. Let me set the stage... I was exhausted, from staying up too late and working too hard during the day (well, kind of...). I didn't really want to go, but the alternative meant scrounging up a dinner for four with a very limited food selection. Around 7:30 we headed into town to go to Ruby Tuesday's. I forgot my coupon bag, and I didn't want to ask the hubby to turn around so I could grab it. I thought I would be ok since I just needed produce. We go to Ruby Tuesday's often during the summer months, and for a bonus, I had printed a BOGO meal coupon. So we ate, racking up a bill of 50.00 for mediocre food, even with the coupon. With a gut ache and an empty wallet, off we go to Meijer.

Since I started couponing in August, I have RARELY taken my kids shopping with me, and I have NEVER taken my husband. After last night, I remember why.

Last weekend my husband asked me, "Can you just get groceries like you used to?" The translation means, can you get junk food and not worry about the prices? I laughed at him and honestly told him I didn't think I could! I gave it my best shot and came home with 2 boxes of Little Debbie Strawberry Rolls and 2 bags of chips! I was pretty happy, and no one really complained.

Fast forward to last night. I guess I didn't satisfy the sweet tooth, because our cart looked like, well, just look at the picture. I had both kids and the husband, who have all been deprived of sweets and junk for some time now. The reason I wanted to go was to get fruit and veggies, but the produce looked awful. I wouldn't have taken any of it home, even if I didn't have to pay anything for it! So on we go, without anything green or grown from a tree.

At first I thought shopping might just be ok. The husband was comparing prices of name brand graham crackers vs. Meijer brand. After he realized what he was doing he looked at me and said "I can't believe you have me comparing prices!"

Then we came to the Little Debbie and doughnut section. Game over. Finished. Bye bye. Nutter Butters, Hostess doughnuts, Strawberry Rolls, and so many etc.'s it's not funny. 5.00 boxes of cereal! Easy Cheese? Not one bottle but two! Why? Because they were 2/6.00! Not 1/3.00? Pain!?*#!! Agony!($&#%@ Despair@*#&@)!! I tried acting out my best impersonation of a choking victim. That didn't work, and my cart was still full of overpriced junk food. So then I showed them my best panic attack show. After several panic attacks, I gave up and decided that this would be the last time for another nine months before they get to go with me again! I do have to say that the Nutter Butters are very tasty, and Hostess crumb doughnuts are very good as well.

My wonderful, adorable, lovely family cost me 75.00 last night. 75.00 on junk food and a fairly unnecessary shower head. 10 pounds of Russet potatoes was the only healthy and low cost purchase of the evening. It hurts. Still hurts today. And probably will tomorrow. Watching my adorable son happily and eagerly eat a big bowl of Cookie Crisp this morning didn't even help. I bet a few of you know what I mean.


Ouch. Nuf said.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Ha! I have a 10,7,3 year old children and a 5 week old infant. I feel like the only time to myself is when I drive four blocks to Chief, Rite Aid or Walmart! It is the ONE thing I get to do all by myself. We do still have those times when we just want to 'run in' for a quick item and leave with a cart full of Doritos and juice boxes. So how do you organize your coupons? I know every one needs to find a system that works for them, but I was wondering about your 'coupon bag'. I have an envelope, but I just can't bring myself to sorting and filing in a divided file. Just wondered how or if you sort them. Thanks for sharing your trip with the family. Emily