Sunday, March 15, 2009

Workin' Meijer

My Meijer trip seemed time consuming, but I was in and out in an hour and fifteen minutes. This included bathroom breaks, repositioning a seven year old from the end of the cart, into the cart, to under the cart, to the baby seat all the while NEVER missing a beat on his Nintendo DS, checking out three times, three calls on my cell, and a frozen checkout computer. Besides making the little old lady behind me very mad, I thought it turned out ok.

Meijer will only double 2 identical coupons per transaction. I've been burned before, so I set out to work the system! And it worked! I don't buy only junk food, either. Today I bought lettuce, 6 avocados, 3 quarts of strawberries, bananas, grapes, carrots, chunk cheese, sunflower seeds, canned beans, hummus, bread, and really good looking frozen pizzas!

Highlights from transaction #1
Spent 69.15
Saved 81.47!
59.89 of that was Meijer promotions and sales
and coupon savings was 21.58

Transaction #2 (remember they only double 2 identical coupons!)
2 Frank's Red Hot Sauce 0.99 each
2 Betty Crocker Warm Delights 10/10
2 Aunt Millie's Bread 10/10
2 BC Fruit Stickerz 1.67 each (3/5.00)
2 Frosted Cheerios 2.00 each

Coupons used:
2 0.50 Frank's
2 0.50 BC Warm Delights
2 0.35 Aunt Millie's
2 0.50 Fruit Stickerz
2 0.50 Cheerios

Total OOP 4.44
Total Savings 20.36!

Transaction #3
2 Frank's
2 BC Warm Delights
2 Cheerios
1 Fruit Stickerz

Coupons used (same amounts as above):
2 Frank's
2 BC Warm Delights
2 Cheerios
1 Fruit Stickerz

Total OOP 2.67
Total Savings 13.08

To put transaction #3 into perspective, the usual cost of one box of fruit snacks is about 3.00. I didn't spend that for 7 items, including two big boxes of cereal! My only concern now is how to consume all of this produce in a week or so! The babies' daddy is out of town all week for work, so we don't even have his help! Well, at least the kids and I will eat very healthy this week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a couponing Queen!!! Nice work and with so many fruit and veggies too!

Anonymous said...

So your first transaction was free?? Did they give you money back?

Random Thoughts from Lindsey said...

My first transaction was not free. I paid 69.00, but saved 81.00 because of their sales and coupons. Technically, my bill could have been 150.00 rather than 69.00.