Sunday, January 31, 2010

Perfect Timing for 2010

It's official, I have yet another addiction...Oh wait, that's old news.  I am in love with couponing.  I know a lot of people think it's a waste of time, not worth it, or just a pain in the butt, but I completely and totally, yet respectfully disagree.  As an RN, I make a great paycheck for the two years of schooling that is required for an associate degree, but this couponing business totally supplements my income, leaving me to spend or save my money as I please.

Since I started this adventure in August of 2008, I have always wanted to keep track of my savings so I could see the concrete evidence.  Now that, my friends, is WAY too much work for just a little satisfaction.  However, at the end of 2009, I came across a new blog that might just be my fav.  The Coupon Project is a great blog showcasing deals, sales, reader success stories, and much more.  She is also a self proclaimed "Excel Nerd".  I have no idea how to work a spreadsheet--at all.  When I read the posting on the savings tracker method she uses, I was impressed.  When I read on and saw she was willing to share with every reader, I was ecstatic!  In this post, the savings tracker is explained in detail, and all of the necessary formulas are in place to make this work magic right away!  Plug in your numbers and immediately you can see the savings reflected in the spreadsheet. 

Here is a copy of my January 2010 spreadsheet summary.  I am not done, and am planning on eeking out more deals on the 31st.  This will give you a great idea on how I am utilizing this wonderful creation!

January-at-a-Glance
Total Shelf Cost: $543.25 Monthly Budget: $400.00
Total Coupon Savings: $216.65 Variance: $205.51
Total Savings: $349.13
Amount Paid (after rebates): $194.49 Rebates Owed: $50.99
Savings Rate: 64.27% Amount Paid (exc. Rebates) $245.48

I know, I know, this is really bad.  Check out the real deal on http://www.thecouponproject.com/, and maybe you will be able to figure out my mess of numbers.  If anyone has any idea how to edit html so I can insert it into the blog, I would take any advice!  It's way too late to keep trying!

No comments: