Sunday, January 31, 2010

I Ended January with a Bang for my Buck!

I had such a fun weekend! Saturday night, my son and I went on a date. The main reason for the trip was to get him some new pants that can actually be worn below his ankles. I think we must be growing, because it took us three tries one morning this week to find a pair of pants that fit. We had a lot of fun, and he even let me go Krogering! It’s amazing what a boy will do if he has a video game system to play (and a couple of treats in the cart).


Kroger has a Mega Event going on now, where if you purchase 10 participating items, 5.00 will be deducted instantly at checkout, dropping the price by 0.50 per item. I love Mega Events, and was really excited to get to actually take my time shopping!

I am not into listing all of the items on sale, but Southern Savers has a great list of the participating items compiled if you so desire to check them out. I went to the Kroger on Airport Highway in Swanton, but Defiance also has the same event going on, but with some different items. Be sure to check the online ad first if you are heading to Defiance.

My best deals included stockpile items such as Rotel Diced Tomatoes, Quaker Rice Cakes, Hunts Tomatoes, Hormel Chili, and Electrasol Dishwasher Detergent.

Here’s an example of a transaction that I did.

8 Electrasol 3.49 each 27.92
2 Rotel 0.92 each 1.84

Subtotal: 29.76

Coupons used:
(8) 2.50 Electrasol 20.00
(2) 0.30 Rotel doubled 1.20

Subtotal after coupons: 7.96

Mega Event: 5.00

Total OOP: 2.96

The Electrasol coupons were great ones, and I am set on detergent for at least a year!

Here’s another one.

3 Quaker rice cakes 1.39 each 4.17
4 Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes .99 ea 3.96
2 Hormel Chili 1.34 each 2.68
1 Rotel .92

Subtotal: 11.73

Coupons used:
(3) Quaker .75 each 2.25
(1) Hunt’s 1.00/4 cans 1.00
(1) Hormel .55/2 .55
(1) Rotel .30 doubled .60

Subtotal after coupons: 7.33

Mega Event: 5.00

Total OOP: 2.33

What, do you ask, will one do with all of these canned tomatoes? One will put them in her pantry and will use them before 2012 when they expire. Or one will donate them to a local pantry or Boy Scout Drive. One may make a crapload of chili, too. One of the main ideas in the moneysaving business is stockpiling, and this is a great example.

So at the end of the shopping trip, I had a full cart, including fruits, veggies, a packet of gravy mix, 40 individual cartons of yogurt, Little Debbie’s (a main food group in case you didn’t know), Electrasol, and more! With 3 Mega Event transactions (15.00 total), 43.00 in coupons, and 41.69 in savings with my Kroger card, my subtotal went from 118.00 to 31.84. 73% savings, and I still had a content little boy!

If I were a good girl, I would have went home to put my groceries away, and then gotten out my needlepoint work. Instead, I took B to dinner uptown, and I enjoyed a fabulous (and expensive) Cosmopolitan without feeling one bit guilty!

1 comment:

megan nafziger said...

You are my idol! How did I fall off the couponing wagon and I can't seem to get back on. Come 2/14 I'm back in! Gonna need your help!